Saturday, August 9, 2008

Your 2008 Grizzlies: Alonso Sorialdo


We here at BGP wanted to inaugarate our little entry to the BLOGOSPHERE with a little series outlining the astounding personalities on the '08 roster. We could focus on the astonishing stats that this team has produced, but really, we care more about how this team makes us FEEL. And of course we'd have to "lead off" with that quintessential leadoff hitter, Alonso Sorialdo.

Alonso Sorialdo, or as BGP sister site ChucktoChuck calls him: "Awesomso Selflessaldo," is a key contributor to the 2008 Grizzlies march towards an astounding 12th straight NL pennant. His back-to-back-to-back 40-40 seasons have astonished many fans, as has his slick and flawless flielding in left field. Indeed some of the caroms I've personally watched him play off the fabled Pink Monster were so jaw dropping that we jokingly referred to him as "The Human Web Gem FTP Site." And his OBP is usually higher than most players SLG, due to a plate discipline that surpasses even the legendarily patient Grizzly right fielder Koruke Inurmoma.

But even more so than his play in the field, his demeanor and attitude inspire this Grizzlies team. From the moment he was acquired on waivers from the Washington Expos, "Lonzie" has been a team leader: a tireless mentor to rookies and a boon companion to veterans. His intensity and focus, as well has his relentless hustle are the stuff of legends and folk ballads. When asked why he tries so hard on the field, he responded in the flawless English he taught himself as a child: "I remember my father telling me 'My son, you have enough natural talent to be a solid, above average player on any major league team. Relax, and make some money.' This notion disgusted me so much that I ran away from home. If you have the talent to be the greatest of all time, why not work hard at it all the time?"

And as far as making some money, Alonso has - but not in the traditional sense. He has invested the lion's share of his league minimum salary wisely, leveraging a personal weath that rivals most Fortune 500 CEOs. Why does he insist on league minimum? Why the year-to-year contract renewal at the Grizzlies' discretion? Let's let Sorialdo put it in his own words: "Why should they pay me to play a child's game? If it weren't for those damn Players' Union rules, I'd do it for room and board! And I want to play here as long as I'm useful, but the moment Jimmy Hemry thinks I'm not worth it, I want the team to be albe to do what's right for the fans."

We salute you, Alonso. Truly a gamer in every sense of the world.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Son of a gun, I was looking forward to seeing Josh Smith in a GRizzly uniform, but it's just not meant to be. I like the Grizz chances this year, but I would've liked them a whole bunch more with the man they call J-Smoove running up and down the court. It's exasperating being a Grizz fan sometimes, but I have faith that Chris Wallace has the plan to get this franchise back on track.

RV said...

Sure Alonso is a great player, but also a man of great character and moral rectitude. I'll never forget the day that he volunteered to donate his left arm to Don Manto. Every time I see the Swiffer Wet Jet that Alonso now has extending from his left shoulder, I think of his selflessness.